Friday, September 19, 2008

NIN CONCERT CANCELLED


Pic. by raquel Castaño

Everybody's upset because NIN's concert that was programmed for Oct. 12 2008 was cancelled in Bogotá, Colombia (South America).
There was a lot of speculation about the cancelation but Alfredo villaveces, Evenpro's representative was clear when he said that it was the band who decided to cancel the concert because it's not a profitable show if you think about the production expenses and all the equipment that needs to be transported and stored for the show.
Yes, it's true it's easier to have the gig in the U.S, but what about the music? and the fans? and the experience?. I guess some people forget about the beauty of art when money comes in the way, and I'm not saying they should loose money, but WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC?
Well, NIN also cancelled their shows in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre and Trent Reznor wouldn't dare to talk to Colombian media.
So, eventhough I like NIN's music, it looks like they've forgotten about it and this is just bussines, so here's something I want you to think about. Specially you colombian NIN fans (just so you stop blaming Evenpro):
It's true Trent Reznor is responsible for creating the first industrial album to sell a million copies with Pretty Hate Machine in which he wrote the songs, coproduced and played every instrument. But beyond that, and the fact that you can enjoy NIN's music for purely enterteinment and not a critical experience, what's the ultimate creation of Reznor?.
Really, I mean, we're talking about a guy that described himself in 1997 in a Spin interview like this: "I'm boring...and I kind of made this pact with myself that I would just be honest(...)I am 31. I was born in Pennsylvania. I wasn't a male prostitute. I'm not gay. My tongue is my own. It's not like a Marilyn Manson situation".
So I guess I agree with Melissa Maerz (senior editor of Rolling Stone) when she says that "ultimately the most interesting art reznor has ever created is Marilyn Manson".
So yes, the show was canceled but still, Marilyn Manson WAS in Bogotá. So no worries.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Andrea, cómo vas. Vi tu mensaje en el grupo de Facebook y entonces entré y conocí tu blog, que está muy chévere... ¿Cómo vas? Gracias por la buena vibra.

Mr. Mustard said...

Pues yo no soy muy fan de NIN ni de Manson, pero sí me parecía muy bueno que se hiciera el concierto de NIN en Bogotá. Es una lastima que se hubiera cancelado. No sé las razones, pero si fue porque no se había vendido lo suficiente el problema es grave. Porque entonces el eterno problema de que los artistas pasan por encima de colombia no es por falta de empresarios, sino porque en realidad la gente no tiene plata para pagar por un espectáculo de calidad.

Saludos, y gracias por visitar mi blog.

Anonymous said...

Dumbest thing I've read in a long time. Trent Reznor gives away albums for free, produces albums for free, and has contributed so much more than you give him credit for. Just look at the Oscar on his mantle. Idiot.