Saturday, September 6, 2008

THE EARPLUG MYTH


Yesterday I was at a very loud concert and a friend asked me if I smoked. I was courious about the question so he told me that cigarette filters worked as good earplugs. I thought this was the perfect soulution for loud situations. I woke up today and did my research. This is what I found.

EXAMPLE:
"Using some Malboro extralight filters we conducted a quick experiment to see just how effective they might be. The results:They afford no protection below 500Hz and about 6 Db @ 500, 12 Db @ 1000, and 22 Db @ 2000, just like you would expect from a leaky earplug. It is also important to note that the numbers above are only for filters sized exactly right and sealed tightly around the perimeter of the ear canal. Since the diameter of a cigarette filter is only about 8 mm, they are on the small size for most of the population" (found @ audiology online. Hearing protection)

CONCLUSION:
"DO NOT expect any benefit from such non-standard earplugs as cotton, cigarette filters, putty, gum and even empty bullet casings (on the shooting range). They present multiple risks to your hearing because they don't effectively attenuate sound, they are uncomfortable and they are unhygienic" (found @ www.hear-it.org)

"Make-shift protectors, such as cigarette filters, cotton, or bullet casings do NOT protect you and are not hygienic" (found @ Army webpage)

No comments: