Sunday, December 14, 2008

JASON LINDNER: The MoogeyMan

There is a lot to say about Jason Lindner (JL). As Chick Corea said: he's a "musical universe".
Everytime I seem to forget what a great musician he is, he decides to refresh my memory with a better performance.
It's not only the fact that he plays with different formats that can start with a solo and grow to a big band, or the fact that he may perform with acoustic sounds (instruments) as well as sound effects and elecronic instruments, but even if he plays a simple melody or the most complex rhythm it will always sound natural.
JL is so daring that he merges everything with his playing. I'm sure that if you really pay attention to his music you'll be able to listen to life juncture or the most basic human emotions, or maybe, just have fun with the music; simple beautiful and cool music.
Even if you are familiar with JL's style, he'll always be able to surprise you with his warm sound.
I couldn't pick a favorite project in which he's involved but I love the live performances with Baba Israel who's encharged of dub poetics and beatbox on Now V.S. Now, a project with Panagiotis Andreou on bass, Mark Guiliana on drums and sometimes Avishai Cohen on trumpet and effects. (I really recommend the special with Now v.s Now they broadcasted on NPR) Now V.S. Now will release a recording next spring -I can't wait-

Anyway, I saw JL's Big band for the first time about a month ago @the new Zinc bar and I've been meaning to write this post for a while but just did it today.
Let's leave the music speak for itself. Here's a video of Jason Lindner's big band and if you like it I strongly suggest you go to his web page by clicking on the title of this post and also go to his myspace http://www.myspace.com/jasonlindner and listen to Monserrate, a beautiful song which I guess has something to do with Bogotá, Colombia.
Enjoy the video

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there for this show too, and it was indeed a magical night!

musicblogspace said...

Elizabeth, I went to your page and I like your singing. Let me know when you'll play. Thanks for the comment!