Monday, March 29, 2010

COLOMBIAN BAD TASTE GOING MAINSTREAM


I usually try to keep my mouth shut when I listen to really bad music, but this time I have to let it out or I'll explode.
I just got the press release for a so-called Colombian "singer, artist", Juana Posse,and this is just the typical example of what happens in developing countries (although, giving it a second thought I guess it applies to all countries): good-looking people, with the right contacts, and some patient producer behind, think they're real musicians and end up showing the face for the "arts".
This really pisses me of because the truth is that this is tasteless, talentless, brainless people that just want fame and money doing something easy, and this is just what's happening all the time.
And the worst thing is that they sell her as a Cumbia artist, and Colombian Cumbia is a beautiful rhythm that Juana Posse is using to succeed with her mediocre fusion.
I'm sure her "single" plays all day in commercial radio stations in Colombia (of course I wonder how much payola they payed), but that's not the important thing here, what really bothers me, is that normal people end up thinking they actually like this music, and therefore they start asking for musical products that follow that line, and that is exactly the problem. How can we get rid of this mediocrity?
I'm not saying that commercial music is bad, because I love it, but it has to have quality and most important GOOD TASTE.
Here is Juana Posse's "single", which has stolen elements from every single hit since 1990

8 comments:

::kolexionista:: said...

really bad fusion, I recomend you Curupira, Mojarra eléctrica, Choquibtown, There are too many options, but this sucks.

musicblogspace said...

Great choices.
I would recommend exactly the same, and if you're looking for electronic fusion, then Monareta and Sidestepper would be the ones

Carlos Ardila said...

This is crap, and that's obviously an understatement. Fortunately it hasn't hit the airwaves in Bogotá yet, or at least I haven't noticed it. By the way, people here are getting really tired of this ethnic fusion stuff. Thanks for the heads-up!

Arka Das said...

I agree :)

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Ha Musicblogspace you talk so much shit!

Anonymous said...

Juana Posse studied at LIPA where they only accept 600 out of around 3 thousand applicants a year, so you are an idiot if you say she has no talent and I´ve always found that "critics" are nasty because they are jealous. They could not not make it themselves in their chosen fields because they have no talent so they become critics.
as for accusing her of payola, be ver4y careful there because you mught end up being sued.

musicblogspace said...

Hi Anonymous, I see you like reading "shit" over and over again. Fun isn't it? I bet you also like listening to shitty music over and over again, just like the track on this post!
which you can listen as many times as you please.
keep enjoying, and please don't worry about me getting sued.
As for music critics there are a few posts on this blog about what I think about that matter.

Unknown said...

I was googling Juana Posse after hearing this song and came across this blog. What you say is not really a critique, but a nasty comment from someone who obviously has nothing better to do. I can understand if you just don't like something, not everyone can like everything, but your comments were unwarranted and vicious and whoever anonymous is has a point; some of the things you said could get you into legal trouble. This song is being played in Spain a lot and ended up number 1 for weeks in Alicante. I also saw that she was singing at the final of the Colombian football league that has a capacity of 50 thousand (bigger than all football stadiums in England except Man U) so my very long winded point is that all these thousands of people think it’s great, but you think it’s not. I reckon public opinion tops your nasty comments. Maybe it’s time you got a different hobby.

Nick from Milton Keynes, England