Sunday, May 10, 2009

HUMMING ANNULS LOUDNESS

So here's the deal. I'm obsessed with New York's loudness. It really affects me, and I think it's probably affecting my hearing. The train, the sirens (ambulances and firetrucks), trucks, motorcicles, people, jackhammers, etc... Everything's loud, and although it's almost unbeliaveble that we can still hear the birds singing, I've got a tip for you; hum when it's loud.
"Humans have a small muscle in the middle ear that contracts upon hearing loud sounds. Pulling that chain of bones makes ears less efficient sound conductors. humming causes this contraction inside the ear, so sounds from the enviroment aren't as potent, providing a natural defense. If you are walking past a loud construction site or find yourself under a low-flying airplane, hum until the noise is over."
This is a quote from an article featured this month in "Making Music" magazine.

No comments: